The Mission of Crossroads Church Circleville is to lead All Generations to Love God and Love Others
What We Do
Encounter the Living God
Equip believers to grow deep in their faith
Engage with a lost world
What We Teach
God speaks to us through the Bible. The Spirit of God guided the Bible writers so that they wrote without error. The Bible contains all we need to know about God, about ourselves, and about life here and hereafter. It contains the good news and the bad news.
The Bad News
Sin is two-fold:
1. Willful disobedience to God's known law.
2. The evil twist and corruption in human nature. So all men, Christ excepted, are sinful by nature and sinners by practice, and therefore are in need of redemption since "the wages of sin is death.
The Good News
Salvation has been made possible by Christ's atoning death on the cross of Calvary. By His death and resurrection Christ has won a four-fold salvation for us:
1. Regeneration in which we are forgiven of all sins and baptized by the Spirit into the body of Christ.
2. Entire sanctification in which we are baptized with the Holy Spirit and cleansed from the carnal mind.
3. Growth in grace after sanctification in which we walk in new light as it is given and are made more and more like Jesus.
4. Immortality of body and soul.
He is one with the Father and with the Holy Spirit, but for our redemption He became Man. He was conceived by the Holy Ghost and born of the Virgin Mary. He was without sin. He died to save us, but arose from the dead and is now ascended to heaven where He is at the right hand of God, interceding for us. We look for His return in power and majesty to set up a millennial kingdom on earth. At the last He will judge the world in righteousness.
The Holy Spirit
He is one with the Father and the Son. He is a Person and is God's Agent in convicting and convincing sinners of sin. He regenerates believing sinners, and sanctifies consecrated Christians. He magnifies Christ in the lives of believers and energizes them to live victoriously.
We believe that Christ and His apostles ordained two ordinances to be practiced by His Church: water baptism and the Lords supper. We insist on no exclusive method or mode of baptism or of partaking the Lords supper.? Let each be fully persuaded in his own mind. These ordinances are outward symbols, teaching of the inner life, the faith, and the hope of believers.
The Church is more than a denomination and more than all the denominations. It is composed of true believers in Jesus Christ. Christ is the Head and the Husband of the Church. Believers should meet together in local assemblies for the worship of God and for Christian fellowship. The Church has been commissioned by Christ to take the gospel to every creature: it is therefore missionary.
The Lord's Day
We keep the first day of the week as the Lord's Day, or Sabbath, because Christ arose from the dead on the first day of the week The early church kept this day in commemoration of Gods finished plan of redemption. We should keep it as a day of rest and worship.
The Bible teaches that believers shall spend eternity with Christ in a holy heaven with holy and happy surroundings. It also teaches that the wicked shall be judged and sentenced to an eternity in perdition.
The Churches of Christ in Christian Union traces its origin as an independent body to the year of 1909 at the council of The Christian Union Churches which was held at Marshall, Ohio. A prominent breach was present among the churches of that district. The point of controversy was the preaching of holiness as a second definite work of grace subsequent to regeneration. Those opposed to such preaching, being in the majority, enacted certain legislation to silence those upon whose preaching they frowned. Instead of being silenced, this group, led by The Reverend J.H. McKibban, withdrew by compulsion and took the name "The Churches of Christ in Christian Union."
On October 27, 1909 a convention of this group was held at the Christian Union publishing house at Washington Court House, Ohio with The Reverend E.S. Cartwright presiding. At this convention a charter of The Churches of Christ in Christian Union was read and endorsed by the ministry and members present. There was also a Declaration of Rights written and presented.
Being no longer members of the council of Christian Union Churches, this new group was compelled to establish their own council. The first council of The Churches of Christ in Christian Union was held at Jeffersonville, Ohio October 28 to 31, 1909. The Reverend E.S. Cartwright was moderator of this council. Annual councils have been held from that date.
At the thirty-seventh annual council at Circleville, Ohio in 1945 legislation was enacted amending the Articles ofIncorporation and resolutions passed permitting the organizing of other state and district councils and their incorporation in this body of believers.
The first general council (composed of all districts) was held at Circleville, Ohio in 1948. General councils are held every two years. Before the work of redistricting was completed in 1959, there were districts in Ohio, Michigan, West Virginia, and the Northeast District composed of New York and northern Pennsylvania, the latter district having been formed by the affiliation and merger of the Reformed Methodist Church of New York with The Churches of Christ in Christian Union. The Northeast District was composed of churches in New York, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. The other three districts were divided into two; namely, North Central and South Central, the two being divided by a line following U.S. Highway 40 from the Ohio-Pennsylvania line westward to the junction of U.S. 22; thence southwest and west on U.S. 22 to Washington Court House and the junction of U.S. 35; thence northwestward to the junction of U.S. 40; and from there westward following U.S. 40.
In 1972 the South Central District was divided to form the Southern District. Churches which remained in the South Central District were in Ohio (see northern boundary above), Kentucky, Indiana, and West Virginia. The new Southern District was composed of churches in Virginia, Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, and Florida. In 1979 these two districts were reunited into a single district known as the South Central District.
On July 15, 1972 the North Central District Council passed a resolution to divide the North Central District into two (2) districts; namely, the Midwest and the Mideast. The Midwest District was composed of all Ohio churches in the North Central District west of U.S. Route 23 and all of the Indiana churches. The Mideast District was composed of all North Central District churches east of U.S. Route 23 and all Michigan churches. In 1979 these two districts were reunited into a single district which is known as the West Central District.
In its missionary work the church is active in fields around the world. Through partnership with World Gospel Mission we have missionaries working in Bolivia, El Salvador, Honduras, Mexico, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Spain, U.S. Virgin Islands, and The American Indian Field in Arizona and New Mexico. A school has been built in connection with the Papua New Guinea mission.
The official publication of the church is The Evangelical Advocate.
Ohio Christian University (Circleville Bible College) was established by council action and began its first year in 1948. A new administration building housing both the school and the offices of the general church work was erected on the Mount of Praise grounds in 1953. A new library and laboratory building was erected in 1958. In 1964-65 a new brick and stucco dormitory was erected. Continued growth of the school necessitated plans for a new campus. After extensive study a forty acre campus was laid out on the north side of U.S. 22 east of Circleville on the church farm. Construction was started in 1966 with the erection of an administration building. A men’s dormitory, the chapel, and a combined classroom-dining hall followed rapidly. In September, 1969, full classroom operations were started at the new campus. In 1970 a student center building was completed. Landscaping and athletic fields have also been provided. In 1972 phase one of the campus development was completed with the erection of the women’s dormitory. Townhouses were constructed in 1977 to house married students. The Melvin and Laura Maxwell Library was constructed in 1979. Since that time, a new townhouse has been constructed (1998), upgrades to both the women’s (1997) and men’s (1998) dormitories, an addition doubling the size of the Melvin and Laura Maxwell Library (1999) the completion of the Maxwell Leadership Center, initially in 2007 with additional phases completed in 2012. The university also added additional dormitory space from 2007- 2010.
Each of the districts conducts its own annual camp meeting, youth camps, and councils. The Northeast District operates Lily Lake Campground near Port Crane, New York. The South Central District Campground is located in the community of Nipgen, northwest of Waverly, Ohio. The Mount of Praise camp meeting is an annual function of the general department. In 1996 the Mount of Praise moved to the Ohio Christian University campus. The East Ohio Street location was sold in 1998. In 2005 the denomination completed a conference center facility west of the Maxwell Library. Youth facilities for the Mount of Praise camp were completed July 2006 with accommodation for 90 plus students. In cooperation with Ohio Christian University and The Churches of Christ in Christian Union ground was broken for a new leadership ministry center on August 13, 2006. This new facility houses many of the university’s sports, special events, executive offices, cafeteria, university bookstore as well as the worship center for the Mount of Praise camp. A new denominational headquarters, known as the Global Ministry Center, was completed in July of 2008 and relocated across the street from the university at 1553 Lancaster Pike.
We are developing our 72 acre campus in Circleville, Ohio to be a family-friendly destination where you can worship, build relationships, and have lots of fun. We presently have a preschool and private academy that bring great value to our community. We are developing many great recreational options for our community.